So many property owners think they are qualified to manage their own rental units. They think it’s “just a matter of collecting the rent and repairing this and that”. If you are one of these property owners, please review the following questions and see how many you can answer:
- Do you know what the state requirements are for smoke and CO detectors?
- Do you know your state and local codes for outlets and entry locks?
- Do you know how to market your rental to get qualified applicants?
- Have you set qualifying guidelines for prospective tenants?
- Are you familiar with regulations on lead and asbestos abatement?
- Do you have the ability to run a credit report?
- Do you know how to read the credit report?
- Are you familiar with the Fair Housing laws, both state and federal?
- Are your forms up-to-date with all the clauses required in California?
- Do you know how to properly fill out & serve your notices?
- Is your property under rent control? (N/A in Sonoma County)
- Does your City require any disclosures to tenants?
- Do you know what conditions would make your property “uninhabitable?”
- Do you know how “wear and tear” is determined at the Move Out Inspection?
- What do you do if the tenant breaks the lease?
- What do you do if the tenant withholds rent?
Miss any? Give Sue Carrell & Associates a call TODAY; you’ll sleep better at night.